Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Day 6

Day 6

The powerplant on the Endeavor failed today.

The day started easily enough.  We got a nice early start and headed down into Durango to dump the RV tanks and get some breakfast. The ride to Cheyenne courses over the Rockies and the Continental Divide.  This involved some spectacular scenery but also involves some harsh conditions for towing a heavy trailer.  There are long uphill grades and down hill driving that involves down shifting. The altitude also starves the motor for oxygen and really presses the limits of the vehicle.

The first part of the day went well.  We made it across the highest peak and stopped to make lunch at a park that had a scenic overlook.  It was very calm and cool.   "We are making really good time", I said out loud.  The last part of the crossing was some uphill driving and then a long downhill grade into Denver that required some engine braking.  We descended into Denver and to my horror I stared at a parking lot.  We were smack dab in the middle of rush hour traffic.  It was stop and go for many miles.  We also noticed that the Endeavors instruments showed the outside temperature to be 106 degrees.

After much grumbling and frustration, the traffic thinned.  I noticed that the temperature gauge was climbing.  I thought to myself, "It's probably just the stop and go traffic". Things did not improve.  As we coursed North, the engine began to sound louder and get hotter.  I did everything I could to keep her cool.  We coasted in neutral and gingerly limped in to a truck stop.  I opened the hood and noticed that there was coolant everywhere.  It appeared to be coming from the overflow hose.  This could represent a simple overheating episode, or a serious mechanical problem.  The other problem was that the Toyota motor requires a special coolant to be used.  This is not commonly available at a truck stop.  A quick Google search revealed an auto parts store that carried such a coolant.

We decided to risk it and attempt to limp to the store.  We set out and headed back across the highway and joined the road that would take us through Longmont Colorado and the store.  As I turned on to the road, I looked in horror as there was a line of traffic a mile long.  As the powerplant heated up steadily toward the red zone, I noticed a Wal Mart.  We quickly turned in the parking lot and parked.  I made a quick check at Wal Mart and noted no such special fluid.  Amy then came up with a great idea.  "What about Uber?"  she said.  Sure enough, a check of Uber revealed a driver 7 minutes away.  I dialed it in and sure enough a ice lady showed up and took me to the store.  The coolant was procured and I returned to open the radiator and find it almost empty.  I refilled it and off we went.

We made it to Cheyenne all seemingly OK.  We got to the campground and set up.  Amy fed the children while I got the trailer situated. The couple in the campsite next to us was on the way back from watching their son play in the College World Series.  I checked the coolant level in the motor and it was down just a bit.  I am still concerned about a leak or something more sinister.  I need to to do laundry as Cheyenne is our stop to take care of such things.  I plan on waking up early tomorrow and taking the ship in for a local mechanic to check and pressure test the cooling system.


No comments:

Post a Comment